Choice in the Art Room

Today, Andrew Sherogan, the art teacher at Meriwether Lewis, and I conducted a learning session on choice in the art room at the VA Art Education Association conference in Richmond.  We really enjoyed sharing how we use choice in our art rooms.  Our audience was full of really great questions.  We hope they took away something new to try out in their art rooms.  Andrew and I really enjoy this approach to teaching art.  Students become authentically engaged in the creative process.  The 4 C's also are demonstrated by students who are creating authentic art: Collaboration, Creativity, Critical Thinking, and Communication.  Below are some examples of how I track student learning and how students measure their own learning using this model:

Art room Brochure (adapted from YahooTAB ideas)
Choice Checklist
I can statements 5th grade
I can statements 4th grade
I can statements 3rd grade
Grade Level Progress Reports-Created by Paige Byrne
Picture Rubric
Two Stars and a Wish

Comments